Dragon for Email
Need Some Help? We've Got You Covered.
How do I obtain Dragon for E-Mail for BlackBerry?
There are two ways to obtain Dragon for E-Mail:
- Send download link using SMS - If you prefer to get the download link using your BlackBerry SMS client, select "Send download link using SMS". After filling in all the mandatory fields, a download link will be texted to your BlackBerry. Click on the link and it will take you directly to the Dragon for E-Mail App World download page. Please note that regular SMS charges may apply if you don't have a valid SMS plan.
- Send download link using Email - If you prefer to get the download link using Email, select "Send download link using Email". After filling in all the mandatory fields, a download link will be emailed to you. From your BlackBerry click on the link and it will take you directly to the Dragon for E-mail App World download page.
How does sending email work?
When the message window for email composition is open (via composing, replying or forwarding), you can press and hold the side speech button and say a contact name (in the To, Cc, and Bcc message address fields) provided you have agreed to upload your contact names. You can simply press and hold the side speech button to dictate in the subject and Body fields (the cursor must be in that composition field) to dictate any free form text.
Example: With cursor in the "To" Address field say "John Smith", then with cursor in the Subject field say "Today’s meeting" and with the cursor in the Body field say "I am running late for the meeting. I will join in 10 minutes".
TIPS: It‘s better to speak one or two sentences at a time and verify the results rather than dictate a whole paragraph at once.
I am residing outside the US. Will I be able to use the application?
Dragon for E-mail is currently available on the US and Canadian BlackBerry App World stores.
What is Voice Dialing?
Voice Dialing is the voice-based access to call a number or contact. When you press the side key (assigned to Dragon for E-Mail) outside of the BlackBerry email client, the Voice Dialing application will be launched by default. For end-user support on Voice Dialing, please consult your phone's user guide or contact the handset manufacturer.
Features and Usage
Can I dictate contacts that reside on my SIM card to the Address fields (To, Cc, Bcc)?
No. You can only speak a name that can be found in the address book and which has a stored email address. Contacts stored on the phone's SIM card are not accessible until the SIM card and the phone's address book are synchronized. You cannot spell a new email address.
Can I speak commands and punctuations when I dictate?
Yes. If you want to have punctuation in your dictation results, you can speak them by saying "comma", "period", etc. Some special symbols such as "$", "%" are automatically placed in context. You can also perform some basic text commands by speaking them; for example you can say "New Paragraph" to have a new paragraph in your dictation. Below is a list of commonly used commands and punctuations.
Commonly used commands:
"New Line" or "Next Line"
|Press the enter key once, capitalize next word|
"New Paragraph" or "Next Paragraph"
|Press the enter key twice, capitalize next word|
" Caps <word> "
|Type with an initial capital|
"All Caps <word> "
|Type in all uppercase|
|Start typing words with initial capitals|
|Stop typing words with initial capitals|
Commonly used Punctuations
|"ampersand" or "and sign"|
|"forward slash" or "slash"|
|"begin single quote" or "open single quote"|
|"end single quote" or "close single quote"|
|"begin quote" or |
|"close quote" or |
|"left parenthesis" or |
|"right parenthesis" or "close parenthesis"|
Can I train the system to my voice?
No. Currently, we do not provide a training/enrollment mode for Dragon for E-Mail. Our efforts have concentrated on enhancing the user experience from the get-go without enforcing an explicit enrollment.
Can I use the application in languages other than English?
No. Nuance is the biggest speech recognition company in the world with a portfolio of more than 50 languages for speech recognition and text-to-speech. However, the current version is localized for US English only. For the Canadian version, Dragon for Email will use US English spellings, i.e. "center" rather than "centre," "color" rather than "colour," etc.
Does Dragon for E-Mail store my contacts information?
If you have uploaded contacts during installation, Nuance will store only the names of your phone book on our server. Phone numbers, email addresses or other personal information of contacts is not stored on our servers. This is used for the name recognition aspect of email sending (to dictate to the To, Cc, or Bcc fields) and to improve accuracy and spelling when you refer to friends, colleagues, etc. in your dictations. If you opted not to upload your contacts during installation, none of your contacts information will be stored on the Nuance servers.
Does the system adapt to my voice?
Yes. The message dictation system uses free-form dictation recognition that adapts to your voice over time.
Is there a time limit for dictation?
Dragon for E-Mail (FREE) version has a limit of 1 minute audio recording with one press of the recording Key. You can continue to dictate long emails by pressing on Convenience Key again. This time limit ensures accuracy & prompt responsiveness from the Dragon server system. We always recommend dictating many short sentences instead of a few long ones. In future versions, we will reconsider this time limit.
Why can I not talk to other applications on my phone?
Dragon for E-Mail is a self-contained e-mail dictation only application. It is not a general purpose dictation system like Dragon Naturally Speaking for desktop PCs.
Tips & Tricks
Can I use my Bluetooth device with the application?
Yes. However, you should note the following when using Dragon for E-Mail with Bluetooth.
- The accuracy of the transcription may vary depending on the Bluetooth device used.
- You will have to control the application from the BlackBerry device (by pressing the side key), you cannot control the application from the Bluetooth device.
- When using the application with a Bluetooth, it takes longer for "Listening" to appear on the application after pressing the side key. You must make sure that the "Listening" appears before you start dictation in order to achieve full speech transcription.
- When using Bluetooth, you will not hear the beep when the side key is pressed. You will only feel the vibration on the side key.
Can multiple users share Dragon for E-Mail on the same device?
For best speech recognition, avoid sharing the Dragon for E-Mail application on your device with others, since it will skew your personal user profile.
How do I change my side convenience key selection for Dragon for E-Mail?
Please follow the following steps:
- Access the Dragon for E-Mail Settings by clicking on the Dragon for E-Mail application icon and then clicking on the BlackBerry Button. Now choose 'Reset Configuration' and click Ok.
- Click on the Dragon for E-Mail application icon again, it will take you through the set up process.
- At Step 2 of the set up process (To choose Dragon for E-Mail Side Key): from Options select Screen/Keyboard, and set the Right or Left Side Convenience Key to 'Nothing'; depending on which convenience key you wish to designate as the side speech key for Dragon for E-Mail.
- At Step 3 of the set up (Test Configuration): make sure you Press and Hold the Side Key you assigned in Step 2 and then continue with the rest of the set up process.
You will now have a new side key assigned to Dragon for E-Mail
How do I send email to multiple recipients?
You can add recipients one by one by pressing the side speech button when the cursor is positioned in the "To:" field. As soon as you add a name, the application will add another empty "To:" field.
Is it better to dictate long paragraphs or individual sentences?
It is better to dictate one or two sentences at a time rather than dictate whole paragraphs. In this release, we've put a limit into the system to accept no more than one minute of audio with a single input/button press.
The system doesn't hear me. What should I do?
Make sure you speak in a normal, clear voice. Speak to the application as if it were a person. Make sure that there isn't too much background noise. Remember that the application only "listens" when LISTENING is displayed and on some phones when a beep is heard.
What should I do to get the best possible speech recognition accuracy?
Press and hold the side speech button. Speak immediately after LISTENING is displayed to avoid background noise being interpreted as speech. Keep the phone at a distance of 6 inches and speak in a normal, clear voice.
Why are there misrecognitions and how do I correct them?
Like human beings, the system doesn't always understand. Loud background noise, hesitations in your input or mumbling may contribute to recognition errors in the returned text. Just use your keyboard to correct any misrecognition.
Why is another application opening along with Dragon for E-Mail when I press the Side Convenience Key?
If Dragon for E-Mail is assigned the same Side Key as another application, you might notice a behavior of launching both applications at once when the side key is pressed. In such cases, please follow the instructions regarding changing your designated Convenience Key as outlined in our FAQ, to change the side key setting for Dragon for E-mail.
I am still having issues. What should I do?
If you couldn't find what you were looking for, our Technical Support staff will be glad to assist you. Please Click Here to contact our team.
*Please note, support is only available in English and please make sure any support inquiries are submitted using only English alphanumeric characters.
System Requirements & Installation
Can Dragon for E-Mail coexist with other similar applications on my BlackBerry?
Under certain conditions, Dragon for E-Mail can coexist with similar applications. Other similar applications may also have the Side Key set to "Nothing" in order to function. You should designate a different Side Key to Dragon for E-Mail to coexist. For example, if an application is set to left Side Key then set Dragon for E-Mail to right Side Key (set right Key to "Nothing").
Do I need an internet connection and data plan?
Yes. Your spoken words as well as the text result are moved over the phone's data channel. An unlimited data plan works best for frequent use of the Dragon for E-Mail application.
How do I restart the application installation if I closed Dragon for E-Mail during installation?
If the application’ permission setup dialog screen is closed using the BlackBerry’s red End Key, you will not be able to run the application again because of a known BlackBerry issue. To resolve the problem, restart/reboot your BlackBerry device and then run the Dragon for E-Mail installation again.
How do I uninstall the application?
- Go to application menu, select the "Options" icon, and navigate to "Advanced Options" → "Application". Move to the "Dragon for E-Mail" application and hit the BlackBerry menu. From the list, select "Delete". Or,
- Go to the application menu and select "Downloads". You should see the Dragon for E-Mail icon. Hit the BlackBerry menu and select "Delete".
Which devices are supported?
The supported devices are:
- AT&T Wireless Bold (9000)
- AT&T Wireless Bold2 (9700)
- AT&T Wireless Curve (8310)
- AT&T Wireless Curve (8320)
- AT&T Wireless Curve (8900)
- Sprint Tour (9630)
- T-Mobile Bold (9700)
- T-Mobile Curve (8320)
- T-Mobile Curve (8900)
- Verizon Wireless Tour (9630)
- Verizon Wireless Storm (9530 - OS 5.0 or higher)
- Verizon Wireless Storm2 (9550)
- Rogers Bold (9000)
- Rogers Bold 2 (9700)
- Telus Storm 2 (9550)
How do I change the contact upload option at a later point?
Access the Dragon for E-Mail Settings by clicking on the Dragon for E-Mail application icon and then clicking on the BlackBerry Button. Now choose Upload Contacts or Remove Contacts depending on whether you are trying to Upload or Remove contacts. Another method to upload contacts at a later point: From the email composition window, when the cursor is in the address field (To, Cc, Bcc), and you use the designated side speech key (for Dragon for E-Mail), you will see a message window where you can learn more about Uploading Contacts. Once you click on it, and go through the terms for Uploading Contacts, you can initiate uploading contacts in your address book.
Optional Contact Name upload at Installation
After you have accepted EULA during installation, you will be presented with a screen asking you if it is OK to add your names to the vocabulary. You can decide to Upload contacts or not at this point.
What does it mean to Upload Contact Names?
If you Upload Contact names:
- Dragon will read only the names from your contact list, not email addresses, phone numbers, addresses, or other personal information
- Dragon will upload these names to the server, where they will be associated with the unique, anonymous device ID
- You will be able to dictate using Dragon for E-Mail in the Message Address Fields (To, Cc, Bcc).
- Whenever you dictate, Dragon will use these names to improve accuracy and spelling when you refer to friends, colleagues, etc. in your dictations
- When you use Dragon, it will periodically synchronize names in your contact list to the server unless you change the Settings (see below)
- You have the option to remove contacts in the future
If you do not have contact names uploaded:
- Dragon will not read your address book and will not upload any names to the server You will not be able to dictate using Dragon for E-Mail in the Message Address Fields (To, Cc, Bcc)
- When you dictate, Dragon may have a harder time understanding phrases or sentences that contain names and spelling of names
- Dragon will not upload names in the future unless you change the settings